You have questions, we have answers!
Local Decorah information can be found at Visit Decorah.
The extensive conservation efforts in the Driftless area can be explored here: www.darestoration.com
Commonly Asked Questions:
1. How cold is the water and should I wet wade? The year-round temperature of most streams that we fish is around 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Since everyone has a different level of tolerance, you can decide.
2. Are the biting insects bad? It depends. There are biting insects and we will be near water which usually means mosquitoes. I advise bringing a bug repellent that you personally use or a piece of clothing that you find works for you. Generally, I don’t notice them though!
3. Can I use my own equipment? Absolutely!
4. What are the common flies used?
Dry flies: Blue-Winged Olive, Dark Hendrickson and Elk Hair Caddis.
Wet flies: Beadhead Nymph, soft hackle patterns and a variety of Stonefly Nymphs in any color.
5. Will you provide fly selection advice? Yes! I focus on building knowledge, confidence, and skills so fly selection falls within that focus.
6. Where will we fish? I like to tailor each trip to the client’s unique, individual needs. There are several streams that we can focus on which all fish equally well.
7. Will I have to drive to the stream? Yes. Depending on where you will be staying, will dictate how far you will need to drive to the stream we’ll fish.